Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Please help me! 

Hugs. I've been in a similar place more times than I can count, and it's not fun. For the first little while, I responded to relapse pretty badly...it was just one more piece of proof that I really was just a worthless screw-up who was never going to get anything right. It was a big change the first time I took relapse as a chance to learn what I needed to do differently in the course of working my recovery program. Did I need to go to more meetings? Did I need to make more phone calls? Was I holding on to a reservation of some kind? Was I lying to myself about what I was really thinking or doing?

Sadly, that wasn't the last time I relapsed, but it did mark a major change in the way I looked at my relapses, and showed that I was willing to consider maybe changing my mind about ME as well. I had a lot of things I needed to change when I showed up, and I've yet to meet somebody for whom that isn't the case. It's okay to be imperfect...the problems don't REALLY get started unless a) I go from "imperfect is okay" to "imperfect is totally okay, and I should just stay here" or b) I steadfastly refuse to be compassionate toward myself when my imperfections show up.

Showing back up and being honest is a big deal. Good for you.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 pm

My mother told me this one day when I went to her and literally fell on my knees with despair about how every time I tried to quit gaming, I would relapse, and it was never ending and was killing me. My exact words were 'Every time I try to stand, I fall down'. And she said, 'Don't you see? Every time you fall down, you stand up. And one day, you'll stay standing up.'

And you know what? That's what matters - the fact you're not giving up, that you're still trying. THAT is the strong part of you. At some point, it'll prevail over the relapsing part of you. You know your life is worth it, that's why you made a decision to stop. So, just hang on to that voice and every time you fall down, brush off the dirt, and work on standing up again.

It does not matter that you fell. What matters is that you go right back to standing up.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 am

State/Province/Country: Arizona
Day 1 again. Have gotten a week twice then relapsed. I'm disappointed but also motivated to keep going and do better and I got a sponsor which I'm happy about. Wanted to be honest about my slip

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Glad you're back! hope to see you at the meetings.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2