Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Have you experienced this? 

State/Province/Country: Louisiana
I have recently gotten into gaming after a long absence. I bought a used computer and a Playstation 3.

I believe my video game playing may be unhealthy.

I really don't want to have wasted all this money, so I am giving moderation a go. I think I can limit my game time.

However, I still feel negative impacts of the game.

When I am not playing, ESPECIALLY right after I stop and go for a walk, I just feel this overwhelming heaviness, maybe like a depression. It lasts a little while.

Also, I obsess about games when I am not playing, and I don't like this. The obsessions bother me and distract me and make me feel bad. The extent of the obsessions vary based on what game I am playing.

Also, these obsessions and desire to play sometimes have been waking me up in the morning early. That's a good thing, because before that I was sleeping until 2pm, but it is also bad because it is like worrying and I am not getting enough sleep.

So that's my two main problems with gaming right now - what I call the "addictive depression" following a gaming session and the obsessing and ruminating about the game when I am not playing.

Like I said, I really hate to have wasted this money, and I truly enjoy gaming, but if it keeps making me feel bad, I may have to consider trying to give it up.

Have any of you experienced the symptoms I am having?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 am

State/Province/Country: Connecticut, USA
Hi Rheon. As an addict (video games and other substances), I've learned that people who can enjoy the things I am addicted to don't question or wonder if they have a problem. If something becomes unhealthy, they can stop and be done with it. When I tried to moderate and control my gaming, I was obsessed with it when I wasn't doing it. All I wanted to do was to play as much as I wanted. Only you can decide if you have a problem and are an addict. A good place to help you figure that out is here: http://cgaa.info/self-test-for-video-gaming-addiction/. If you read through it and can relate and identify to most, or all of it, you may be more than a "problem gamer". It's also recommended to come to meetings to hear or read if you relate to other addicts. While your symptoms are very much in line with the obsession of the disease of addiction, please use the tools mentioned to see if you identify with us. We are glad you are here!

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

State/Province/Country: Connecticut, USA
I would also recommend reading this for a few pages: http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf (and substituting video game addiction / addiction / gaming in any place alcoholism / alcohol / drinking is mentioned). It mentions that the great obsession with us addicts is the desire to manage and control our gaming.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:32 pm

State/Province/Country: California
Hello Rheon. I am fairly new to the program (~3 weeks) so I will share my experience with you. I found these forums and had a similar bit of introspection during which I wondered if video game addiction was really a thing and if my relationship to video games was unhealthy. I also spent a lot of money on video games and of course didn't want to "lose" that money---over the course of my life I'd spent thousands on various Steam games and virtual goods, and most several hundred dollars on a certain virtual card game that ends with -stone. (https://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/03/25 ... t-fallacy/) I thought my gaming was just a hobby akin to building model airplanes or snowboarding or kayaking or etc., and that the hours upon hours that I poured into it were justifiable. After all, you've got to do something, right? People have hobbies, don't they?

So I went to a CGAA voice chat meeting on a curious whim, (10:00pm East Coast US, 7:00pm West Coast US, info here: http://cgaa.info/directions-for-mumble/) not expecting to really feel anything, but by the end of the meeting I knew for sure that my problem was exactly the same as the problems that had ruined the other member's lives, and that my life was equally ruined---though I was so sick with the addiction that I hadn't even realized it at the time. I am so, so grateful that I took those few minutes to check out a meeting. Of course there was the possibility that I wasn't an addict, but hey, everyone is welcome, and it only took me an hour to find out for sure. And my life's in a much better place already, even after these few short weeks.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:44 pm

State/Province/Country: United Kingdom
Hi Rheon, good to see you.

So are you saying that you keep doing something that makes you feeling bad just so you don't have to admit that you've made wrong decision about spending some of your money? I guess that falls into insanity, doesn't it?

When I woke up early to play it didn't have a positive side. Straight away my wife noticed it and informed me that the game is more important to me then the people because I wouldn't do the same for anyone around me. Not as often, as easy and with such excitement as I did it for my games. It was me who was most important in my life, I had to have a benefit from my actions. So if I had to wake up earlier that needed to be for me so I could gain something. Otherwise I would enjoy sleeping - let others do the morning work around house and children etc. I also discovered very soon that regardless I woke up earlier then without gaming I was late to do my real life tasks. Simply because the game took place of my life core. In the end when I woke up, and switched on my PC I felt like I just turned to do another work shift in the mine. Gaming for me was a heavy work with a very little pleasure that never compensated for the effort put into it. But I always believed that I will finally get that pleasure, I will get something for myself. Myself, myself, myself... Pleasure - yes, pain - no. Pleasure - me, pain - others. Pleasure - take, pain - give.

I had to experience a lot of pain and lately a strong feeling of enslavement to reject gaming as a part of my life. Even then I wasn't able to stop.
To me, a discussion only makes sense if you have enough of gaming. A fellow addict is not here to convince you that you are addicted - game does it. It's often a long and always painful experience. We are here to help each other once we admitted that we are powerless over gaming addiction. To do it I had to:
1. Suffer from gaming strong enough to have a honest desire to stop gaming forever.
2. Having the desire to stop not being able to quit gaming completely nor to moderate my gaming to the point that it wouldn't make me to suffer.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]