Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 How can I help? 

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
We often talk of how helping others (service, as we call it) helps our own recovery. When I was gaming, I was useless to anyone but me (and pretty useless to me as well, actually). I remember how great it felt to start moderating some chat meetings and be of some use to others.

I'm thinking that the title of this thread, "How can I help?" could be a good meeting topic at some point. There are many ways to help besides leading meetings. Some of them are available to newcomers after their first couple of meetings; all of them will help the fellowship. Most of them don't require any "official" permission (we don't have officials here, so this is hard to come by). Examples:

1. Sharing honestly in a meeting both where I am and what is helping me/has helped me and what direction I'm moving in (otherwise known as experience, strength and hope). Every honest share is a good share, and you'd be surprised how many people are helped by it.
2. Greeting someone in the meeting who is new.
3. Giving an encouraging word to someone who is struggling.
4. Letting someone who hasn't been to a meeting in a while know that you are glad they are back.
5. Letting someone who is down on themselves know that you've felt that way too.
6. Starting a new meeting in a new "location." (someone who is quite new to our fellowship just did this.)
7. Posting on the forum.
8. Looking at the names of new people who have just joined the forum, and sending them a "hello" message. Most people who join never post anything.
9. Thanking people who share. Thanking the meeting leader for their service.
10. Working on literature for the fellowship.
11. Leading a meeting.
12. Serving in a trusted servant position.
13. Sharing a new idea at the business meeting.
14. Trying out a new format for a meeting to see if it is helpful to people (check with a few others first)
15. Being a friend to a newcomer (meet them in mumble, share contact info).
16. Making a call when you need help (it helps the other person too)
17. Helping someone who calls you (it helps you, too).
18. Participating in sponsorship as a sponsee or sponsor.
19. Starting a face-to-face meeting.
20. Sharing your experience on other recovery forums (reddit's /r/StopGaming/ for example)
21. Sharing resources you have found helpful.
22. Moderating the meeting when the regular moderator can't make it.

As you can see, there are many ways to serve. I have found service to be of great benefit to me in my recovery.

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]