Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Quick question 

State/Province/Country: California
I was leading tonight's meeting and someone came in who wasn't a gaming addict. I greeted them initially and they said it was their first time but they didn't identify themselves as a non-addict, so I asked them if they wanted to share and they put up the asterisk. They then introduced themselves as not an addict but rather someone who was only curious about gaming addiction (they said they were a student from Rutgers, or something like that). I interrupted their share and told them that only members, aka self-professed gaming addicts, were allowed to share, and then opened the floor for someone else.

I was looking around for some kind of rule related to this but I didn't know where to look and couldn't find one. Was this the right thing to do in this situation? I seem to remember something about only members being allowed to share, but now that I can't find the source I'm second-guessing myself.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:28 pm

State/Province/Country: California, USA
Thanks for covering tonight DGately. I appreciate the backup. Couldn't get home in time.

Tue May 02, 2017 12:32 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Yes, that's the right thing to do. Sounds like you handled it just fine. Meeting time is for people to share their experience with video gaming addiction and recovery from it.

I think it's fine to invite an observer to hang out after the meeting and talk, in the meeting room or in another room.

Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
The traditions may be of help here. Over here you can find the long form of the traditions.

Of special interest, in regards to this question, may be traditions 3, 5, 6 and 8.

Mind you, the traditions are not rules; They're guidelines and ideas we have come to trust, based on our experiences in the past, they work for our meetings and individual recovery. They are a protection mechanism against ourselves and others.

It is suggested to apply them, because they keep us together.

Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 am

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Traditions 1 & 5 are particularly key here. Our primary purpose is to help gaming addicts recover, not educate the general public, and our unity depends on us sticking to the primary purpose. Since this guy is not a member (tradition 3), we don't have to be as patient with them and can cut them off mid share when it means protecting the health of the meeting. We also have the right to ask them to leave if the group would prefer not to have someone who is studying them sitting in the meeting.

Mon May 15, 2017 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]