Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Forum rules

* Each topic in this forum is a separate story
* Supportive comments only--no critical comments allowed
* Other topics should be posted in other forums

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Stories on YouTube 

CGAA Stories of Recovery from Video Game Addiction

Personal stories are now available on YouTube. If you listen to a story, please take the time to "Like" it and leave a comment if you can, which will help problem gamers find the CGAA stories when they search YouTube for video gaming addiction.

To add your story to the CGAA Channel, either share it at the weekly speaker meeting or record it on your own and post in this thread that you'd like it submitted.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:09 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
We have eight stories on the CGAA Channel on YouTube, the most recent on posted 4 months ago. New people are subscribing to the channel regularly. It would be great to post a few more stories.

If your story is not on the channel (currently we have ones from Hirsh, Jacob, Jeff, Lisa, Mike, Scott, Sean and LS) and you are willing to tell it publicly, let's make that happen. Talk to Chris B about speaking at the Sunday speaker meeting, record your story (it's probably best for the speaker to record his/her own story for best sound quality), and send it to me. It's easier to send if first compressed from a wav to a mp3 file using http://media.io/ or converter software. Post here if you'd like to do so.

If you've already told your story and it has been recorded and you'd like it posted, let me know and I'll do my best to track it down.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:56 pm

State/Province/Country: Rockland NY
It looks like our youtube channel slowed down. Does anyone else have a story they want to upload?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

State/Province/Country: Cleveland, Ohio
I changed my Saturday 10pm mumble meeting to be a speaker meeting and gave Scott 2 new stories to upload to our youtube so far.

Lisa

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:24 pm

State/Province/Country: Ontario
Thanks for sharing it

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:39 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Hi everyone! I just learned that "Likes" and comments on YouTube videos make a big difference in search ranking. Please leave a comment and "Like" on any video you watch, so that problems gamers searching YouTube for "video game addiction" have a better chance for finding our stories of recovery.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:17 pm

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
This is a great idea, Scott, and I support it. But I can already see a potential point of conflict between principle and personality: people only liking/commenting on the videos they actually liked/related to. I would offer this slight addendum to your suggestion:

If you watched the video, be sure to like and comment. If you didn't like the video, especially be sure to "like" it and leave a polite/constructive and non-critical comment. If you notice yourself avoiding a video because you don't like the title or you know who's story it is and you don't like that person, watch the video and decide later if it was a good idea. And also be sure to like and comment on it.

We are all just one among many; but I know for myself that, my ego wants to tell me that I am special and that I am in some way "better than" the others around me. When I buy into this idea, I find it hinders my ability to actually connect with others, be a part of the fellowship, and ultimately be of service to my fellow gaming addict (and the rest of the world, for that matter). On the flip-side of that same ego-coin, when I buy into my ego's message of grandiosity but that message isn't reflected in my surroundings (e.g. getting more likes on my story than other folks), then my ego likes to stab me in the back and tell me I am "less than," useless, unworthy, bad, etc. Knowing this about myself and knowing that I am not unique in this way, I need to do two things: 1) not pay attention to how many likes my story gets or doesn't get (my ego will only ever use that information against me); & 2) be very loving and generous with my own likes, not stingy or miserly (e.g. not not liking a video because I deemed it to be unworthy- that's my ego, too, and also hurtful to the other person and fellowship at large).

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:29 pm

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Morgan, you have identified exactly why I don't "like" social media. Ugh.

But it's true we want the stories to be found, so I'm about to go "like" them all, and leave comments on the ones I've heard.

Oh, and there isn't anybody here whose story I don't like. We're all gaming addicts, trying to stop. What's not to like about that?

:)

It is a problem, though, to have this sort of thing going on (the whole "like" business), because it is an opportunity to elevate personality and ego, so I hope it doesn't do that. But whatever we do, if the videos get even a little popular, the likes and comments from people outside the fellowship will soon overwhelm ours, anyway. No control over that.

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 am

State/Province/Country: Spain
Thanks for these shares!
It's incredible, its like listening to myself. Now listened to the first 3, Lisa, Hirsch, and ?. Thanks thanks thanks!

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm

State/Province/Country: Sweden
I agree these stories on ytube are amazing. I've been listening to them since about 6 months back

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]