Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Using the CGAA logo 

State/Province/Country: Rockland NY
It isn't high res enough for google to accept it. I need a higher res copy. Same with the photo of people standing around looking lost on our website;)

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 am
Profile WWW

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
hirshthg wrote:
Same with the photo of people standing around looking lost on our website;)

ROFL

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this. Every time I see the logo on CGAA I feel a little troubled. It shows able-bodied persons, and the women are clearly identifiable as 'curvy', and shorter, and generally also 'thin' people. Like it conforms to the idea of this 'normal' man and woman as a generic thing. I saw a broader version of this logo somewhere, and it had a person on a wheelchair, it had figures which didn't fit into this 'ideal woman/man' standard - not everyone was 'thin', and there was a wider range, like one had a person leaning on a stick (suggesting older person). And some people where you don't know whether they're male or female even.

I found that a much warmer image, because someone like me doesn't 'fit into' the clearly marked out women in this logo.

I just feel that instead of a logo that tends to reflect what we anyway see 99% of the time in the media and ignores what real people actually look like, we could maybe change it to a different section of that logo so that it is more representative.

An example of what I'm trying ot say is that imagine fi the male silhouettes had a highly muscular body outline, and then that kind of body is made into a 'general' male image, when the reality of most people and certainly of addicts, is that we are learning to accept ourselves for what we are, and definitely not identify with media-dominated expectations. I think having ONE muscular male, and ONE curvy/thin woman is fine to show that there ARE people like that and they are welcome. But also that there are other kinds of people too.

Mon May 11, 2015 8:35 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Yes, the silhouette pic is not ideal. The current one is a mishmash of pics I googled, where I did make an effort avoid the more stereotypical/sexualized ones and include some balance, but didn't take the time for total balance in every area. I figured we'd ditch or modify this pic at some point.

Here's one idea I had. I could make my own silhouettes using Photoshop and a photo of volunteers. I would make the silhouettes totally dark monochrome, small and completely unidentifiable (as they are currently.) I could see if there are any volunteers at the gathering this weekend. Probably we wouldn't have enough volunteers, and I'd have to grab some extras from the internet, but it would be cool to have a few that are not only "what real people actually look like" but also close to what the silhouettes of real members look like.

Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 am

That sounds like a fantastic idea!!

I know it takes a lot of work to put this stuff together, and it is really really appreciated. I thought the logo looked really nice in a general sense, and the idea behind it was great.

Thu May 14, 2015 1:46 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
The silhouette pic on the website's front page is updated. I'll be updating it on the forum and other places soon.

Tue May 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Replying very belatedly I know. I happened to see it just now and it made me feel warm and welcome. Thank you for these great changes :) :)

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Hah, I never realized the change either. Are some of those silhouettes taken from the shot we took at the retreat? I wanna say that I recognize some of them :P

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2